Almost Home’s volunteers are a vital part of our organization and help us in a variety of ways. Volunteers can assist with many different tasks such as walking dogs, cleaning kennels, or helping with offsite events. Our volunteers allow us to provide a better quality of life for our animals while they wait to find their forever home. Will you help us care for the homeless pets in our community?
Individuals: Individuals 16 years or older must submit a volunteer application and attend an orientation session before volunteering.
Children: Children 13-15 years of age are welcome to volunteer with a parent or legal guardian. Both the child and the parent must submit a volunteer application and attend an orientation session before volunteering. Minors must be accompanied by an adult at all times while volunteering at Almost Home Humane Society.
Groups/Clubs: Those seeking options for groups to volunteer can email our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com. Groups of up to 12 people can volunteer on a regular basis or for a one-time event.
Court-Ordered Community Service: Almost Home accepts court-ordered community service for some offenses. To apply for this program applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Visit Almost Home Humane Society at 1705 S. 2nd St. in Lafayette to fill out an application.
The first step to becoming a volunteer is to complete the volunteer application. Applications may be dropped off at the shelter or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your application has been approved, you will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator to attend an orientation session.
Please note: all adult volunteers are subject to a background check.
For more information about volunteering and how you can help the homeless pets of AHHS contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
- Walking dogs in Adoptable Dog and Puppy Room areas
- Includes recording which dogs have been walked and reporting any abnormal behavior or signs of illness to the staff
- Daily cleaning of kennels in Puppy Room, Adoptable Dogs, and Stray Dogs
- Washing dog dishes (food and water bowls, nylabones, Kongs, etc.)
- Fill Kongs with peanut butter and place in freezer
- Refill dog water bowls
- Refill “treat cups” in adoptable/puppy rooms
- Treat cups can occasionally be taken to the dog kitchen to be washed with dish soap and refilled with fresh treats
- Empty and clean out dog toy bins in dog kitchen
- Daily cleaning of cat cages in adoptable cat room and offsites area
- Socializing adoptable cats in the visitation room
- Washing cat dishes (food and water bowls, toys, etc.)
- Washing cat litter pans
- Refeed cats in the evening (ask a staff member first!)
- Refill cat water bowls
- Pass out treats/catnip to adoptable cats
- Sanitize empty cat carriers/wire crates and put in storage shed
- Other tasks as assigned
General cleaning and maintenance of the shelter:
- Washing dishes
- Yardwork/landscaping (removing weeds, laying down mulch, planting flowers, etc.)
- Cleaning wire crates and cat carriers for storage
- Deep cleaning
Assist with events both off and on-site:
- Loading/unloading of animals
- Interacting with the public, answering questions, crowd control, etc.